Cliff House Project
A Program of Western Neighborhoods Project

Sutro Baths ] Sutro Heights ] SealRocks ] [ Flag Rock ] Ocean Beach ] Lurline Pier ] Lifesaving Boat Ramp ] Sutro Midway ] Wave Motor ] teahouse ] terrace ] Fruit Stand ] Lands End Station ] Cottage ] Ocean Terrace ] Sutro Heights Casino ] Cliff House Garage ]

 

Flag Rock
Also known as:  Fishing Rock, Fisherman's Rock
 

1
Flag Rock    (WNPCHP)
"CH-32"

 


The San Francisco Call - Nov 27 1900
This story states that the bridge was built in 1864

 

 


Bridge Collapse, Apr 6 1884

2
Photo from San Francisco Public Library collection (SFPL AAB-9741)
Handwritten on photo: "Apr 6, 1884."

 

3
"Broken Bridge, Cliff House"
Cabinet photo by Rodolph & Co., Oakland, Cal.
(ebay image)
 


 

4
ebay image


 

Rock Causeway

John Martini (1/4/2021):  "The rock causeway was built during original construction of the Baths. I read in Sutro’s engineer's reports that its purpose was to protect the boulders forming the breakwater on the west side of the Baths. The causeway was designed to hold the sand in place between Fisherman’s Rock and Point Lobos/Parallel Point and keep the boulders from being undermined."

 

5
"Flagstaff Rock and Sutro Baths - Golden Gate"

 


6


ebay image
alternate ebay image: here
 

 

7
postcard, dated April 18 1909  (reverse)
ebay image

 

 

"The original causeway stared to deteriorate in the late 1890s, and by the 1910s was a total ruin."

 

8
Sutro Baths west side pc (Mitchell), c. 1915

 

 

"It was rebuilt in the concrete form sometime around 1920."

 

9
Nov 20, 1920
(WNPCHP)

 

10
Flag Rock causeway, c. 1922

 

 

Newspaper Clippings
 


San Francisco Chronicle - Apr 7, 1884


The San Francisco Examiner - Apr 7 1884

 


Sacramento Daily Union - 8 April 1884

 


New York Times - Apr 20 1884

 


Daily Alta California - 27 April 1884
 


Daily Alta California - 11 July 1884

 


Daily Alta California - 19 Nov 1884

 


Daily Alta California - 21 October 1885
 

 

The below story describes an accident that happened less than
a month before the above accident...


San Francisco Chronicle - Mar 18, 1884